Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pumpkin Cookies

I've been on the lookout for a good pumpkin cookie recipe, because a) pumpkin is delicious and b) so are cookies. Last year I made some pumpkin cookies that were sketchy at best, but I knew the combination of pumpkin + cookie could be a magical thing. So! Heather sent this recipe in, and says, "These cookies are super yummy. We made them over and over and over again last fall. I searched high and low for egg free with my son's allergies and ended up finding the best pumpkin cookie recipe I've tasted:

Egg Free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
Yields: 48 servings
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup shortening, butter, or margarine
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Cream the sugar, shortening, pumpkin and vanilla together. Mix until light and well combined.
  3. Mix the flour, baking soda and ground cinnamon in separate bowl.
  4. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. Drop by teaspoons onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until set. Let cookies cool on a rack.
Nutrition facts (per serving):Calories (kcal) 146 Protein 1.5g Cals from Protein 3% Total Fat 6.5g Cals from Fat 38% Carbohydrates 21.6g Cals from Carbohydrates 56% Fiber 1g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 75mg."

Original recipe possibly from allrecipes.com.

So, in the name of science (and this blog), I made the cookies Saturday evening. And lo, they were good. Special bonus: the lack of egg meant I didn't have to feel anxious about eating copious amounts of cookie dough. Therefore, I did. These cookies are good, did I say that? They're incredibly moist. And yummy.




Mmmm.

For the record, if you guys send me something without a photo, and then I make the item and post a photo of it and it looks ALL WRONG, and you think, "OH GEEZ, WHAT DID SHE DO?" then, um. Just let me know if I wrecked it, and then we can all make fun of my cooking skills.





Edit: If you're into cookies and ice cream, perhaps consider this. OH MY GOSH. So good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm, I must have COOKIES. I think I even have PUMPKIN in the house!

email said...

Pumpkin and chocolate chips together sounds interesting. I'm going to try them. If my kids, who don't eat much of anything, will eat them, I think I can get away with calling them a vegetable because of the pumpkin. Right?

Tess said...

I love pumkin bread with chocolate chips so this sounds like a winner.

Marie Green said...

What??? This blog is going to make me fat, I can already tell. But it will be a good fat. And I'll be happy. =)

I'm trying these soon....