Friday, November 23, 2007

Penned Tree

Erin sent in a genius-yet-simple idea to keep your Christmas tree safe. She says:

"This brilliant idea comes from my own parents, who had 6 kids in the house, all within 7 years of each other. No wonder they’re completely insane now. When we were young, instead of trying to keep us away from the Christmas tree, since someone (children, cats, dogs) was always trying to climb it, they put the tree inside a playpen. Genius! The tree was safe. The presents remained wrapped. The kids were not climbing the branches."

I've waged the tree battle against mountain goat-esque cats, and my brother was a notorious gift snooper. I can't believe I've never thought of something as simple as penning off the tree! Thanks, Erin!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're probably going to do that this year with our big twin play yard. But then where do we pen the twins? Perhaps we will put our tree out in the front yard instead.

Beth said...

What a great idea! However, I have some mighty leapers in my trio of cats, and I bet that at least 2 of them would be up and over in a jiffy.

However, they wouldn't be able to actually knock the tree over.

Hmmm. What type of playpen are we talking about (having no baby stuff lying around now).

Black Sheeped said...

Pixel--I'm not sure if she meant the kind of play pen that stands alone, the sort of netted box kind. It seems that that would work, or that you could use an elaborate system of doggie/baby gates (like the play yard Swistle mentioned). They make dog pens/gates that are in panels, that you can configure to your space that would probably go around a tree easily. I'd check department stores, pet stores, or baby stores. We use a baby gate for our dogs, but the cats ignore it thoroughly. However, yes, I think it would prevent the tree from being knocked over entirely. Or maybe you could use fishing line to attach it to the wall. :)

Misty said...

This is so smart...but what if you don't have a playpen! We are too afraid to even put our tree up. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

-M