Thursday, October 18, 2007

Boo! Cake! Decorations!

Okay! Catching up on a few different things this morning. Including a call for reader participation! Ready?

First, look at this cute way to spread the Halloween love around! Heather shared this, originally posted here.

She says, "I think this would also be a fun idea to do in an office or other group setting if you don't have a neighborhood that would welcome this little 'game'."

You've Been Boo'd

Now it's your turn to "Boo" two other people in the neighborhood:


Fill two bags with candy and treats.
Copy this letter and ghost twice. Include a copy of this letter and the Boo ghost in your bag of treats and goodies for the neighbors that you choose.

After dark, and only with an adult, "Boo" two of your neighbors. Do not let the person that you are "Boo'ing" see you, for it adds to the fun of it all! Place the treat bag on the doorstep, ring the doorbell and run! You should "Boo" these people within 2 days of receiving your own treat.

Hang your own Boo ghost in your front window so that everyone can see that you have been "Boo'd" and will not Boo you again. It will be fun to see how many ghosts will appear in our neighborhood by Halloween! Please keep it safe and enjoy!


She wrote this about it:

"We had so much fun getting together our goodies to give! We went crazy with the dollar items at Michael's... I did fun Halloween rub-ons on the cheap-o paper gift bags and filled them with stickers and other stuff geared toward the neighbor kids. I got these adorable Halloween Chinese take-out boxes we filled with Halloween brownies and candy corn, and even found some magic orange Halloween hot chocolate. It all turned out super cute. Wrapped up the little note and the Boo ghost in a snip of orange and black ribbon, and we were off to be a part of (hopefully) a fun neighborhood tradition!




Savannah and Ryan were the ones to "make the drop", and after Savannah rang the doorbell Ryan would scoop her up and run. She was giggling like crazy the whole time! So fun.

We found our own "Boo" package on our doorstep this morning. The kids were super excited. Dumping out the pumpkin bucket we found was like opening their Christmas stockings, complete with oooh's and ahhh's and gasps of excitement. Who knew Goldfish, Pez, candy corn, candles and stickers would get such a fun reaction?!"

Has anyone else done this? It sounds awesome! Next up...cake!

Kelli sent us a link to an awesomely DISGUSTING cake, which would be super fun for a Halloween party. I have to tell you, my mother made this cake for my and my twin brother's 18th birthday. It looked absolutely real. And gross. It was delicious, but it looked so much like the real thing that we sort of faced a mental block.

At any rate, it's hilarious and here's the link.

Now! I was thinking, how fun would it be to see reader Halloween decorations? I'll probably want to do something similar for other holidays, and Halloween will be a fun way to start. So, up until Halloween, if you feel like participating (and you totally do), I want you to email me photos of your jack o'lanterns, decorations, trees with changing leaves, pumpkins on your front porch, bowls of gourds, etc. Anything in your surroundings that put you in the fall and/or Halloween mindset, you know? Take pictures, email them to karamarie at gmail dot com, and then right around Halloween we'll get to enjoy all the fun photos in our first reader-shared-photo-post.

So, get cracking with the cameras! (I'm so bossy!) And maybe put some candy on a porch (being sure to sample some first, of course, for quality control reasons) and if you're reeeeally brave, make a kitty litter cake. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Marie Green said...

I have to agree with you- that cake would be hard to eat. I can almost *smell* the cat pee, just looking at that photo!

Love the decorations idea. I'll be taking some pictures...

YOU are a twin? Did I know that already? Any insight on raising twins?

Misty said...

Ug, that cake is REPULSIVE!

My son would love it.

Big grins all around. We are carving this weekend, so I will send some pictures!

Anonymous said...

We just got Boo'd last night!!! When did this start?

artemisia said...

Oh, my goodness. A potential client that called me NOT EVEN TWO DAYS AGO described this very cake to me.

*gag*

*gaaaag*

I hadn't seen a picture. *gag*

Oh, I am having a hard time with this *gag*