Sunday, October 7, 2007

Costume Mania Day Two--Brainstorming

Today's installment of Costume-Mania is about where and how to find costume ideas. Perhaps none of the premade costumes seem right, but the person you are costuming still has no idea what they want to be. All the possibilities! It's too overwhelming!

That's why we all love the Internet, so so much.

We can go here, for example, and see lots of ideas. Admittedly, some of them are really lame. Some of them might make you groan at the sheer corniness. But it might get the ball rolling, jump start some costume brain storming. If anything, I think the categories are really helpful--do you want to have an occupational (doctor, lumberjack, beekeeper, chef, lifeguard) costume? What about a movie character? What about a character from a book? Maybe someone from a fairy tale or a comic strip? There are the traditional Halloween costumes (witches, ghosts, monsters, mummies, Frankenstein, vampires, black cats, zombies, werewolves), animal costumes, and endless possibilities for inanimate object costumes. I think it would also be good to browse the various costumes and see what you have on hand, and pick a costume that way. I love that some of you keep costume bins, too.

This site has a large list of links to all sorts of costume goodness (including wheelchair-friendly costumes, frugal costumes, costume patterns), safety tips, and articles. This page has quite the list of ideas, complete with instructions. Seriously. Tons of ideas and instructions. Tons.

Tons!

Go browse. It'll be fun, I promise.

Later this week I'll post our very own readers' costume ideas. So, if you're STILL holding out, send your costume idea to me at k a r a m a r i e at gmail dot com. Feel free to talk about what costumes worked in the past, and what didn't.

How do you come up with costume ideas?

3 comments:

el-e-e said...

Some of the ideas on costumeideazone are so great!! I especially like the ones for couples; why could I never think of anything like that when we were going to parties?

One of the best ones I ever saw was a guy who came to a party as "Windblown." He had put flower wire in his tie and it was sticking off to one side. Then he gelled up his hair so it was going the same direction, glued a few wrinkled pieces of paper to the opposite side (as if they'd gotten stuck to him by the wind)... it's hard to describe but was VERY impressive.

Then there were the guys in college who wrapped a piece of white posterboard around themselves and went as a tampon. Lovely. (yes, they included the "tail")

Luckily, my kid is still too little to want something clever. So my "brainstorming" consists of consulting the TVGuide on the Disney and PBSKids rows. Ha.

sorry, long comment!!

Misty said...

Hey, I got this yesterday and thought you guys might be interested: http://www.tiny.cc/YSziN

Very cute ideas, with pictures to boot!

artemisia said...

This is awesome! I always wait until the very last minute to come up with costumes (but you know that -- you've witnessed it!) and I suck at coming up with good ideas.

One year, in an effort to not have a totally stupid costume for the next year, I made a list of the kick-ass costumes I saw on the subway on the way home that Halloween. I was so proud of myself.

Of course, I lost the list.

AGAIN - THIS IS SO AWESOME!