Thursday, October 4, 2007

Cheese Eyeballs!

Tessie sent me the following recipe. I told her I LOVE recipes with body parts in the title, but only for Halloween. I don't have a photo of this (there's no way I could convince anyone at my house to eat something with olives, not even the cats), but it promises to be eyeball-licious, and a super awesome treat for Halloween parties. Cheese and butter and olives = eyes. Brilliant!

(If anybody cares to whip these up, send me a photo and I'll add it to the post.)

HALLOWEEN CHEESE EYEBALLS

6 oz. jar stuffed green olives
1/4 cup butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. chili powder

In a mixer, beat 1/4 cup butter one minute. Beat in 2 cups cheese, flour, and chili powder. Wrap 1 tsp. dough around each olive, leaving one end with pimento exposed to make eyeball. Refrigerate until serving time. Sprinkle with chili powder. Bake 20 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven. Serve warm.

I'm loving the costume ideas you guys are sending in. Keep them coming! I want to get them organized and post them earlier rather than later.

And for now, go forth and make eyeball snacks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have made a similar recipe before minus the eyeball effect and can vouch that they are very very yummy. If you are an olive lover, which I am.

One tip I would give is to dry the olives on a paper towel or else the dough will not stick to them very well.

Tess said...

Right on donna, I should have mentioned that in the recipe. You can add a little more cayenne to if you like them spicy.

Anonymous said...

I saw a similar recipe in a magazine (either Southern Living or the free Kraft Food and Family magazine, I can't remember) except they made a basic sausage ball and stuck the olive in that instead of the cheese mixture. It looked really good!

By the way, I'm LOVING the new blog. Thank you! THANK YOU! You're definitely filling a void in my life. :) Found you through Swistle...

Anonymous said...

I found some cool Halloween recipies on bhg.com. There is a great one for witches fingers (chicken)- they look awesome (well some of them turned out looking good when I tried it)
Somewhere, there's a recipie for a cookie that looks like a finger, with a slivered almond as the nail. They look really spooky on the buffet sticking out of a batch of "dirt" (you know, that oreo and pudding dessert that kids love) It was a big hit last year at our party.