Monday, October 22, 2007

Jack o'Lantern History

Flibberty sent me this email, and I'm glad she did--I love learning about where holiday traditions began. She did a little research on Jack o'lanterns for us.


She says, "The story of the Jack o'lantern comes from Irish folklore. Jack was a crafty farmer who tricked the Devil into climbing a tall tree. When the Devil reached the highest branch, Jack carved a large cross in the trunk, making it impossible for the Devil to climb down. In exchange for help getting out of the tree, the Devil promised never to tempt Jack with evil again. When Jack died, he was turned away from Heaven for his sins and turned away from Hell because of his trickery. Condemned to wander the Earth without rest, Jack carved out one of his turnips, took an ember from the devil, and used it for a lantern to light his way. He became known as 'Jack of the Lantern.'"

I also found some more stories here.

Speaking of Jack o'lanterns, if anyone has any tips for a) not cutting yourself or b) not making one that looks as if a hoofed mammal carved it, please send them to me, or share in the comments section. My history of awful pumpkin carving leads me to believe I have some room for improvement.

Want more Halloween history? Find it here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - the site is fun AND educational! Who knew???!

Tess said...

Flibberty is so smart and awesome to send that in! This is why I need this site, that is the kind of thing I would never think to look up.

I've had pretty good success with those cheapo orange plastic carving kits from Target or whatever. They actually cut even better than a knife since they're more serrated.

Misty said...

I second the "cheapo orange plastic carving kits." I find they work miracles. So easy to manuver!